The before:
The during:
The after (it's not a very good picture because it's the only one that the flash didn't wash out.):
What do you think? I'm happy with it, but it was a TON of work. Sigh.
So now I need some design advice. I begin painting prep tomorrow. I'm painting my living room and dining room green and the kitchen a kind of cream/beige color. Kind of boring, I know. So the first question is, where do I change the color in this picture?

Area A = area boxed off in orange
Area B = area boxed off in green
(stop laughing at me!)
a) Area A painted green and Area B painted creme;
b) Area A and Area B painted creme; or
c ) Area A and area B painted green.
Initially I was going to do a, but then I was thinking that maybe b would open up and create more of a flow into the kitchen. Steve and all my friends think I should do a, but I'm all over the place.
Next question: Should I change the matting on my framed tapa cloth? I don't know what I was thinking when I picked a creme matting. I obviously didn't know what I was doing. Now I want to change it to white and I think it would look better with the green. I called Michael's and it would cost me $35 to make the change. Not exactly what I want to spend my money on, but it bothers me every time I look at it. Am I overreacting? (We're going with the lighter green sample on the left).
Not a question, but another picture of the sample paint with our couch. Again we picked the lighter green on the left. It's a little darker in person.
The painting we had framed. It's in a 2.5 inch wide dark brown frame with a white mat. It's going above the couch.

So my final question. How in the world am I going to put curtains on these windows?
Anyway, help me!

9 comments:
What a disaster! Why in the world would your builder do popcorn ceiling?! Well done on the the new texture. I love the print that you framed. I've looked at that one before and love the colors. That is the shade of blue you need to work into curtains. Fabric swatches will help you decide. I like the lighter green paint as well. On the kitchen pillars I say option a. I think it may stick out like a sour thumb if its all cream and it would be too dark all green. Option a)seems like what a professional would do. My curtain rods came from Ikea--super cheap! You can get the double rod attachment if you're interested in double layering with sheers. I have that but haven't hung up the second rod. I love your giant dining table for entertaining--totally jelous. Maybe you should look into silk, solid color curtains.
I wrote sour thumb instead of sore thumb. Funny. Also, I agree with the one curtain rod across all three windows.
Popcorn is easy and hides a multitude of sins. They did a terrible taping job. It seems to be a Midwest thing. If they had an upgrade for a knock down, we would have down it, but it wasn't even an option.
The more I think about it, the more unhappy I am with our builder. If we build again, I'm going to pay more attention to the little details because I think they will be a good indicator on the overall quality of the home. So I will be looking for the following upgrades:
1. White wood trim;
2. Granite counter tops;
3. Knock down/textured ceiling vs. popcorn.
4. Silver/brushed nickel door knobs. Our shiny brass door knobs drive me nuts since we have brushed nickel light fixtures and facets (it wasn't an upgrade option).
I need to proof read too!
How about we would have done it instead of down it and we have brushed nickel faucets not facets.
You can always save that wall into the kitchen for last and decide then. You'd have a better idea of what it would look like then. Probably a-green and b-cream. You never know until it's all done. It's crazy how dark a room ends up being once it's been painted a color. The bedroom upstairs that we painted green is pretty dark and I don't like it as much as I thought I would. It might be darker than your darker green sample though.
I think on the windows, try to do one rod but with 3 panels. One gathered in the middle and then the other 2 side swept away from the center. Then the other 2 side windows side swept toward the corner. I don't know, just an initial thought. Kind of weird how they did the windows here.
The creme mat, I would save that for a final detail. It might not bug you as much once there are other things going on in the room. Plus it'll be up against a green wall and not a white wall so it might not be such a big deal. You should do some kind of runner and center piece.
This stupid thing posted my last comment twice. Anyways, are you planning on keeping your trim pine colored or are you going to paint it?
I love your bar stools!
Redoing your ceilings was a lot of work! Yikes! I don't envy you.
I was looking at those curtain rods at Ikea. They are pretty cheap! Do they have holdbacks? I don't remember. Curtain rods are so expensive!
I was planning on painting the wood trim white. I've thought about it since we built the place. Stupid builder without white trim option! However, after taping all of it to prepare for painting, I am reconsidering. I'm kind of thinking that it may not be worth it. It would be a LOT of work because there's so much of it. I would have to sand it first because of the glossy finish, clean it and then paint it. I would probably have to prime it or do two coats too. Not to mention what I would have to do to protect the carpet.
I think it would look so much better though. If we were going to be here for a really long time, I would definitely do it. For now, I'm just going to think about it. Maybe in a couple months when I'm not tired and sick of home projects I'll be more willing.
Post a Comment